PDA

View Full Version : Is there a book on Performance Driving?

Formula Jr
10-07-2002, 11:54 PM
For several years now, I've dabbled with the idea of writing a book on how to safely pilot a performance deep Vee boat. Not safely in the manner of the regular USCG safety stuff, but an actual manual on how to use trim, how to read waves, how to use the throttle and how to spot the warning signs that you're running over the capabilities of the boat or that you are running in water that your boat can't handle and when and how you make these decisions. And all the extra stuff you need to run this way. Every time I sit down to compose something, I run up against the problem of trying to translate "feelings" of something that is extremely visual and tactile into words. Its too ingrained in me cause I grewup on the water. Its like trying to describe a dance that fits a topology of water, you can instantly know while riding in another boat if the captain is "playing the water" or just running thru it. I can determine when I'm in the groove so to speak for just about any type of water, describing that groove is freakishly difficult to put into words. Too often, I see pilots that just point the boat and run. And its a very uncomfortable feeling knowing the pilot isn't reading the water. Ultimately, I don't have the authority to write anything like this since I've never raced in an offshore event. I know there are schools out there that will put you in a real off-shore race boat but I don't know what they actually show anybody and I imagine they are more concerned about learning the sanctioned rules. Does anyone know of a book or manual that starts with an intermediate level of piloting, and works you up to an advanced understanding? Has anyone really set down in words how to run to the edge and to know where the edge is?

RH
10-08-2002, 08:19 AM
Great point to bring up. I think that it would be a great topic and with a good future. I can relate to the word description from your "feeling" and "natural reading" of the waves. That is a tough assignment. I remember that a Wellcraft owner had told me about a Scarab Driving School that he attended back in 1995-96. We were on the same plane heading to the Miami boat Show and he was telling me about it. Has Reggie Fountain done anything like this?
RH

Ed Donnelly
10-08-2002, 11:18 AM
There was an article a few years back in one of the boating mags. Reggie went into detail re drive and trim settings. I'll try to find said article and post it Ed

MR MAGOO
10-08-2002, 08:07 PM
There infact is a really good book on this subject, although it might be out of print. It is titled "The Guide to High Performance Powerboating" by Joanne A. Fishman 1989. Hearst Marine Books.

I highly recommend it, and there are a few really cool pics as well

Greg Maier
10-08-2002, 08:55 PM
I just orderd a used one on Barnes and Nobles.com for $12. They don't stock the book anymore but they are linked to used book dealers that have the book.

penbroke
10-08-2002, 09:52 PM
I just tried B&N.com and I gues you got the last one. Amazon.com still has several used ones.

Frank
Owner of Donzi since last Wednesday.

Blewbyu
10-08-2002, 10:17 PM
Owen-I agree wholeheartedly with your thoughts re: the difficulty of explaining driving on the edge.It's such an instinctive thing (especially to wharf rats like thee and me)to those that have grown up in boats.Easy to explain when you're IN the boat on a rough day, LOOKING at the wave patterns (or lack of)and pointing and gesturing.But to explain in a book that it is conceptual rather than pat answers for each occurence/situation.......tough.If anyone could do it tho-you be the man!I want the first autographed copy!
You need to talk to Henry about this(Smart Ass that he is).Could be an endless book though..... :confused: :D :D

Blewbyu
10-08-2002, 10:35 PM
Re:The Groove......just like a sweet spot on a tennis racquet, or a well hit golf ball, it is momentarily orgasmic when you hit it just right, and sometimes can last for quite a while.....
'Member that Labor Day when we were 'using the rough water' just North of the floating bridge-and Eric was taking pics??We were BOTH in 'The Groove' that day, especially in that short time period.Seemed we couldn't screw ANYTHING up, as much as we tried.
Brad Verd (and the lovely Amy)came by and called last month-and we all went out in 'Blewbyu'.I couldn't put it together that day-smacked a couple of spine jarring rogue waves all wrong, and 'hooked' the boat TWICE within an hour,the second time dumping Amy out of the shotgun seat right onto the floor!Classy, huh?Brad got the cushy ride in the back seat....it was an embarassing show of 'LACK OF GROOVE'.I have only hooked that boat ONCE before since I have owned it!!!Could recount those to you for the 'How NOT to do it' section. :D