PDA

View Full Version : Alpha to Bravo swap

tmdog
01-05-2003, 10:12 AM
In process of beefing up s.b. chev with hotter cam and possibly new heads.With these mods it is believed to be in excess of 350 hp. Here's where the problem comes in . This 18 Classic is equipped with a Alpha drive vintage 1988. What Alpha parts can still be used in a swap to a Bravo drive? Are they equal in lenght? A question for anyone in the Lake Lanier area is where can I get the engine dyno'd. I'm sure Big or Lil Grizz knows a place. What would the dyno cost? JIM

Tomahawk
01-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Jim - Big Grizzly is currently recovering from back surgery a few days ago. If he were able, he would tell you to contact Gary Grimes in Alpharetta. I don't know the number but it's something like Grimes Engineering, or Performance or Automotive or something along that line.
BTW - I think your Alpha can be beefed up to handle a lot more horsepower. Somebody in Florida does that work. I would start with an inquiry to Dean Clause at "The Bravo Shop" in Miami. Baxter might have some input for you on that.

KMLFAMILY
01-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Here is a link with some info for you at the bottom in NOTES.I hope this can provide some insight for you.http://www.sterndrives.com/supplies/mainsupplies.html

KMLFAMILY
01-05-2003, 01:37 PM
Link didn"t work. Try www.sterndrives.com (http://www.sterndrives.com) then click on alpha 1 and read notes on bottom.Info there.

tmdog
01-05-2003, 03:29 PM
Tomahawk & KMLFAMILY, Thanks for the info.Hope Big Griz is doing fine after surgery. I wish him well.
I was wondering if anyone on this board has had their Alpha modified to handle higher hp? What does the mods entail?. I sure need help with outdrive , whether to modify or go with the Bravo. JIM

Sam
01-05-2003, 04:24 PM
tmdog, I know there have been a couple of members who have switched to a Bravo with an Imco lower unit( Check with Woodsy). By doing so you raise the X dimension and get a streamlined robust drive system.
A switch like this does not come cheap and will require a fair amount of labor. Not knowing the health of your current Alpha you should know that 350 hp through an Alpha is not unheard of. Jammie Root and myself have such a set up and have had no problems. Like anything you need to use common sense when operating your boat. Watch your hole shots, air time and drive lube temp. Good luck !

Sam

Cuda
01-05-2003, 04:36 PM
My marine mechanic put over 3000 hours on an Alpha/BBC. It was on a heavy 26 foot Pursuit fishing boat.

I believe the Alpha will hold up in your application. The key to longevity of the Alpha is keeping the oil in and the water out. Keeping it cool helps also.

Budmann
01-06-2003, 07:56 AM
I too have an alpha w/a small block putting out somewhere in the range of 350 hp. WATCH YOUR HOLESHOTS. I am very careful to start out very easy. Knock on wood, the only problems I have had with my Alpha have been faulty parts. I also have a very high reving(5200) engine, and to date have not had any problems with overheating. I will tell you that with the exception of a few bursts, I typically try to run the boat at 3000 rpm(40mph) most of the time. I also have the drive checked every year for schim adjustment etc. I also looked into changing to a Bravo and the cost was just to much. Hope this helps.

tmdog
01-06-2003, 08:24 AM
I believe the board has given me some sound advise, which I want to thank everyone that has respoded. I am goig to stick with the alpha drive. Of course cost is the overriding factor in this decision. We have always babied and maintained the alpha even with the presnt 325 hp. A bad decision on choice of cam we installed last year resulted in a top rpm of 4100 which was disappointing to say the least. Live and learn. Ready to be installed is a Comp cam with better heads, maybe alum. With these mods we hope tthe engine reaches full potential. Before install, hope to get it dyno'd. A tough lesson learned, never think a car engine can be used for marine application without several modifications.
JIM

Walt. H.
01-06-2003, 09:55 AM
Jim, I to had the same question and concerns.While talking with Paul Zigouras, He specializes in offshore race engines www.zigourasracing.com (http://www.zigourasracing.com) located in Brockton Mass. for my own eng. up-grades he stated everything you were told above. Up to 400 hp small block w/the Alpha drv. in a light boat is ok, just watch your re-entry eng.speed.(sudden impact load),and use a rev.limiter. I was glad to hear that. I understand he does excellent work for a very reasonable price with good turn around time.He's very knowledgeable and pleasent to speak with.No hi-pressure b/s. (no over sell) Ok=My question is: up to what weight can be considered light? or to generalize anything under under 21 foot? = Walt,

riverrat
01-07-2003, 05:35 AM
what's the problem with hole shots? I run my '99 350 mag mpi (300 hp) alpha hard. & part of the fun is the hole shot. it's a rocket out of the hole. you just pin the gas & start trimming & she pops right up & hauls ass..
thanx for the input.

p.s. my merc master tech said this alpha is a great drive & a good app. for this boat. it's lighter & that's a good thing. he also has told me they have made changes over the years & 300hp is no problem with this drive.