PDA

View Full Version : FRP Boat Building

tailwind
10-07-2002, 09:19 PM
Hi All:

Having read previous posts regarding DONZI customer service and warranty repairs etc. Ran across this web site detailing construction procedures. Now as a true DONZI fanatic, and knowing that these craft may never truly measure up to ours, I feel that this technology will be enjoyed by the registry:

http://www.glastron.com/pages/PlantTour.html

Sure, these are mostly lake boats, but the technology of FRP boats certainly has indeed come along way!

MOP
10-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Like the part about how the mold captures the styrene fumes, use to fly around from that stink. We did all our trimming with saw all and grinders, was nasty. Its been 20 some odd years since I built boats, I still get slivers of glass working there way out of my fingers.

Forrest
10-08-2002, 09:28 AM
In terms of automated production, Glastron has always been miles ahead of anyone else, though I'm sure that Bayliner is right on their heels.

RickSE
10-08-2002, 11:22 AM
That's one of the best ways to make-em cheap, take the labor cost out of the process.

MarkGT
10-09-2002, 03:30 PM
RECYCLED 25yr OLD TECHNOLOGY!!!

"VEC process is the most significant manufacturing innovation the marine industry has ever seen." (NOT!!)

Colin Chapmin was building Lotus cars in in 1973 Elite, Elcat & later the Esprit using "VARI" technology (vacuum assisted resin injection). The cars were made in two piece molds(inner & outer) just like Glaston site shows. He first started using this method in his Boat mfg. company however the name escapes me.

Mark Albers
10-09-2002, 09:35 PM
Back Blower wink

GM has @ One Million robots and computers at their plants

and

Ferrari has @ 2 (not counting the video machines replaying GP races)

One hand washes the other
and one robot builds another

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)