PDA

View Full Version : Broken Stringer / Motor Mount

Marlin275
10-07-2002, 04:49 PM
After a fun day on the Hudson River with mild wave action, I noticed when I was hooking up the fresh water flush that the stringer was cracked and shifted to the side. The motor mount bolt was bent and shifted off the stringer. I did a search on this site and didn't find anyone else with an experience like this? My X-18 is a 1973, might this be part of the problem? Standard 350SBC.

HyperDonzi
10-07-2002, 06:26 PM
Maybe dryrot??

Good to see someone on here having same problems as Baja, only difference is workman ship. 1999 and up Baja 25 and 33 outlaws are having that problem along with the whole blistering of the gelcoat.

After saying all that, I feel like a hypocrite.
Tommy
HyperBaja....

Greg Maier
10-07-2002, 06:59 PM
I saw an 18 up here in Delaware who hit a wake in the C&D Canal and actually broke his engine off of the mounts. The mounts were probably already cracked and the shock of hitting the wake just finished the job.

GEOO
10-08-2002, 06:04 AM
Chad,

My 1975 X-18 needed to have the stringers repaired. The stringers were cut and never sealed up and water got the best of them. Make sure every bare spot of wood is sealed up with epoxy or some type of water protector. It's even a good idea to put caulk under the scews and bolts used to fasten in to wood.

Forrest
10-08-2002, 09:19 AM
I third that about the unsealed notched stringers for motor mounts on the X-18 causing rot.

Also, rubber motor mounts place added stress on the stringers. The stringers on my Hornet II were not at all rotted, but the broke due to the flexing of the rubber motor mounts on the rather long lever-arm of the angle brackets that attached to the stringers. When you get rid of the rubber motor-mounts the entire mounting system, which now includes the engine block, is completely rigid and will not move. The best type of engine mounting system is a one piece mount that attaches to both stringers and has a bar that runs under the engine. GIL builds these types of mounts, but on of these may be a tight fit in an X-18.

Marlin275
10-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Scott, Geoo, Forrest, you are absolutely right!
My stringers were cut down and unsealed when I bought the boat two years ago. I thought this was done when it was repowered. I can't believe the boat came from the factory this way! Problem waiting to happen.
Boatyard pros thought it was half baked work?