PDA

View Full Version : BBS etiquette 101

Formula Jr
09-19-2002, 09:01 PM
I've been doing this BBS stuff, like Donzi.net discussion stuff probably longer than most anyone here (20+ years): Even before there was a public Internet. There are some roads you just don't want to go down. One of those roads is called a "Flame War." This is where two, or a subgroup, of people wish to find the social reality to a situation. This NEVER works to anyone's satisfaction. The parties involved should take it off line and do business face to face. And threads started in the vein of an open discussion, that go personal are first candidates for deletion.

I know nothing, I see nothing, I say nothing here of anything. I don't even know the issues involved. I'm just laying out what sysops know about this form of communication. Typing is different than speaking.: And speaking one on one, is different than typing something that will be read by a few thousand people.

The other thing people mistake about BBS' is the private nature of them. Censorship DOES'NT apply. You don't own the press. The owner of this board has a perfect right to erase every thread ever posted and wipe the whole thing clean. And one day, if the hair is particularly thick, can in all rights cancel the site and leave up "Da da Da da... Dat's All Folks...."

Remember that, each and everytime you post.