PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Buyer Questions

tailwind
11-23-2001, 07:21 PM
I have an oppportunity to purchase a 1991 Classic 18, 2 3. It has an OMC King Cobra 350 drive and from just looking at a few photos, it is in nice condition cosmetically. Compression runs between 145 to 150. Having just found this site, I have noticed that these OMC/years are rather undesireable and therefore discounted (according to some posts).

The asking price is $12K. Would like to hear any or all comments concerning the above. Thanks to all !

RickR
11-23-2001, 08:42 PM
I owned a 90 18 Classic with the KING COBRA drive. It was a great boat and currently belongs to Reddog.

The King Cobra is a great drive similar to a Bravo Merc but in the "far" future parts may be a problem.

She is one of the best built 18 I've seen. At that time they were built in Goshen ID.

Welcome to the Board!

BigGrizzly
11-23-2001, 10:54 PM
Tailwind, you got it wrong. Most people have the mercs, because over the years most of the later ones had mercs and cheves. the OMC is a good combo. Some don't like them because OMC Corp. wasn't kind to the Donzi mistique. Me I like them all. I have 22 Criterion with a merc TRS chevy powered,and a 18 Corsican, with a Volvo, Ford powered. I like them both. The biggest problem with OMC outdrives is the guy working on them. Good techs are hard to fine.

Randy

Tomahawk
11-24-2001, 04:52 AM
Welcome Tailwind - the King Cobra drive is fine and, in fact, has a couple advantages. The price sounds good, especially if there is a pretty good trailer included. Good luck.

Dr. Dan
11-24-2001, 12:29 PM
I agree with what was said above, we bought our 1993 22 Classic with an OMC King Cobra drive and have had zero problems, I maintain all the fluid levels and it shifts smooth. Now if I could just stop the Monster Jet Skis from running into the Drive casing, I'd be happy! Good Luck, let us know what happens! ;) ...Doc

komikazee
11-24-2001, 12:30 PM
Wecome Tailwind,
I have a 1990, BB Ford 460CI, with the King Cobra outdrive. I've owned the boat for about 4 yrs. and haven't had a bit of trouble. I run mine hard like all Donzi owners should, so that KC shouldn't even be a concern. Just my .02 cents worth. Welcome again, alot of great people here I'm sure you'll feel at home with them.
Tracy
Komikazee

RickR
11-24-2001, 05:48 PM
tailwind
I recieved your pics.
She looks real nice! The cover,exhaust and trim tabs are a nice options.

There were some electronic ignition problems on a few of the OMC engines but you can replace the whole ignition with MSD for around $500.

You'll have to make your own decision about price and value. A decent 18 Classic with a good trailer, engine and some options is certainly worth $12000. I miss my 18 all the time! They are a blast to drive and own.

:D :D :D

Moody Blu'
11-24-2001, 06:47 PM
that sounds like a really good deal............. with a trailer.

still a deal without but not as good of a deal. how many hours on the engine, and was it in salt or fresh water??

oh yeah, WELCOME to the board!!

Im the black sheep around these parts :P

tailwind
12-01-2001, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone and special thanks to those who reponded to my initial questions.

I traveled down to Destin from Jackson yesterday for sea trials earlier this morning and am proud to be the new owner of this 1991 Classic 18!. The bay was running about 1-1/2 to 2 foot chop, so there were some wet times. Overall I am very impressed to say the least, however have many questions to pose in the near future.

Anyway, will post pictures soon, and look forward to hearing all comments. BTW i forgot this one: when buying a boat/trailer, lights work at the dock ok, carry a spare fuse! Turned on the lights 2 blocks from home and everything went out! OK it was still 30 minutes before sunset.

Really anxious to get some flat water tach data to pass on, but it's great to be home with a new "Christmas" toy!

Thanks again everyone
Randy

Cuda
12-01-2001, 08:52 PM
Congratulations on the new boat! :D

green16
12-01-2001, 09:59 PM
Congratulations Randy.
green16

Dr. Dan
12-02-2001, 04:07 PM
Congratulations, we look forward to seeing pics....Good Luck ;) As for the trailer Lights, well check to make sure all of your connections/bulbs etc. are secure, also, make sure to unplug before you dip it in the water, otherwise you'll have to buy more stock in GE,the smallest loss of grounding will deepen the great mystery, part of the charm of boat ownership...I'm convinced our trailer is possessed by demons! :D ...Doc

Digger
12-03-2001, 08:32 AM
welcome tailwind, enjoy!

mattyboy
12-03-2001, 09:20 AM
welcome tailwind,
post pics when ya can,

Matt

EricG
12-03-2001, 01:18 PM
This is how it always starts:

"I'm looking for info on X boat I'm thinking of buying"

THEN

"I just bought X, Soon I'll have lots of questions, and I can't wait to get it in the water" (This one usually happens in the middle of winter).

AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT

You've got a couple hundred posts, every t-shirt you own says Donzi somewhere on it, and you find yourself making engine noises while you sleep.....oh well.

CONGRATS on the new boat, you, like the rest of us, have acquired the first stages of a disease that has no cure....

EG

tailwind
12-04-2001, 07:04 PM
;) http://donzi.net/photos/acfd3d.jpg
Here is a photo of my new 18 engine compartment. Questions:
1. Horsepower? 350 chevy w/ Holley 4 barrel carb - 250?

2. 1991 Fuel capacity? Dealer said 45 but have read 41.

3. Don't wish to start a controversy here but the engine has seen a couple of salt water hours in Destin, and confirmed by corrosion on the anode. I have the same engine in my 1994 Full size Blazer and have been satisfied with Castrol 15/30, with regular changes. I will be happy to go with an locally available synthetic such as Mobile 1, if it will help prevent wear versus the Castrol.

4. My fire extinquisher was missing. I perfer Halon over Dry chemical, however I know that Halon 1 is no longer available. I do have a local source for such. Would a 2-1/2 lb unit be large enough, or should I go with the 5 lb unit? I carry a 5 lb halon in my single eng. aircraft and it is big, but I feel safer as this is an entirely differnt environment - can't jump out.

5. The fuel cut off switch is located in a compartment between the front seats. In order to access it, I must first remove the carpet, remove the hatch, difficult to remove between the seats, and unscrew a round hatch cover. Has anyone placed another fuel cut off switch inside the eng. compartment (more accessible) or perhaps added an electronic solenoid cut off?

6. Clean driving record, Insurance agent has quoted a yearly rate of $ 368.00 with the usual half million liability, full hull etc.

thanks again for everyones help. Got my sales tax paid (ouch) and registration, tag etc, done today, so hopefully will get it out on the lake in a day or so. Bets regards to all!

Formula Jr
12-04-2001, 09:32 PM
Tailwind, a classic is a classic is a classic.
The problem with the OMC years was the introduction of so many conventional designs - it has nothing to do with the quality of the classics and certainly nothing to do with the 18. There are no BAD years to the 18, or the 22. ;)

tailwind
12-04-2001, 09:43 PM
Hi Formula Jr.

I know now I guess realize that there were no "bad" years for the 18. I am just asking perhaps a few "DA" questions for the group in order to get an understanding. From previous inspection, I have what appears to be a "Viper" prop (14-1/4" x 21")? How fast should I go?

Thanks for your response

PaulO
12-05-2001, 08:49 AM
Tailwind Randy,
Congrats and welcome. Looks real cool!
PaulO

RickR
12-05-2001, 07:28 PM
350 King is Rated @ 270 Propshaft HP
Sticker on my 90 fuel tank said either 36 0r 38 (it was hard to read)

Most late model boats have a anti-siphon valve to prevent fuel running out if the fuel line is damaged. The valve causes alot of problems and for high-performance most owners remove it.

Good Luck with the new ride! :D