PDA

View Full Version : Put A Cover On It

Dr. Dan
11-23-2001, 08:39 AM
Hey Guys, Santa has asked for my list and top on the list,is a full cover, we seem to be addicted to towing to all of these Donzi Events of ours so what I'm looking for is a good source for a 1993 22 Classic cover, and we might add some fabric to protect the front lower hull from stone chips. Question: Is there an existing Donzi source for these or are we better off going through the custom fit ordeal, does the factory do these, or should we just go to our local Boat Boy and seek out the top seamstress? I have no problem just ordering one by mail if you guys have had a good experience with one already made,for a 22 Classic Hull! Let me know... :rolleyes: Doc

RickR
11-23-2001, 02:32 PM
I use a Sunbrella Custom cover from Overtons.com.
It was close to $700 with the "easy tie down option". Sunbrella is the material of choice I like it alot more that Sundura.

Their cover does not cover the sides and although I did not like the seam work it is holding up great.

I do not tow with a cover on. I used the OE shpping a few times but had a problem with the Diesel exhaust getting under the side and staining the hull.

When towing I put the rear seat in plastic bags and turn the front seats around. If it rains I put the Tonneau on.

Cuda
11-23-2001, 06:43 PM
The fellow who made my cover told me that the Sunbrella would lose its ability to shed water in a couple years. He used a different material, and it actually cost less. Custom made around $300

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-23-2001, 09:36 PM
Hi Doc, I don't know much about full covers but I would just like to say that prior to the AOTH we had a thread about towing with covers.... board advice was don't do it. Hard head that I am, cover on, ropes etc... within 200 miles, one rip, snap gone etc. on the 22.

Worst case is an hour whiping everything down when you arrive at destination, i am sure most Donzi owners stop 2 miles before the ramp, shine her up and hit the water!

The top on the 26 will only go down the highway in the cuddy!

Bryan

Sagbay32
11-23-2001, 11:25 PM
I have towed my 18 probably ten times with the full cover on it with no problems (100 miles each way at 75 mph). It is tied down real well .

jbishop
11-24-2001, 12:43 AM
Hi Dan,
I agree with Rick. The Sunbrella material is my choice when having a cover made. I've never had any problems with leakage or tears.

We tow our boat with full cover all over the midwest.This included the trip to Sarasota and back.

It's important to have reinforcement patches sewn in at all protruding points such as lifting eyes, cleats, across the top of the windshield, etc.

I paid $765.00 for ours. This included a sewn in drawstring and tie down loops every 24".

I hope this helps. Say Hi to Liz.

Jim Bishop

Tomahawk
11-24-2001, 04:43 AM
Hi Doc - I tow sans cover but check in with "Roadtrip" (Todd) from Texas. He tows his 22 a lot and came to AOTH I with a full cover, hull and all.
Hello to "Hairy" :)

Dr. Dan
11-24-2001, 12:20 PM
Thanks Guys for your advice, Liz says Hi to you all! I am not so much interested in towing with it as storing it out of the suns fading rays. It's in the driveway most of the time and I want a cover that fits well, and if I decide to haul it down to the Bay then that's cool too! But I'm mostly going to use it for storage. We lost our cockpit cover twice on the trip to and from Sarasota, Liz got some running in, we'll need to tighten up that too! Any more sources? ;) ...Doc

RickR
11-24-2001, 02:59 PM
Dan
Replace some of the snaps on the Tonneau with "Lift the Dot" type. They will NOT come undone unless you lift the dot!

The Overton's cover is custom for the 22 and fits like a glove. It has reinforcment for the windshield.

Sam
11-27-2001, 07:02 PM
Go with Sunbrella ! I have had it on my last three big boats all which are in the water for seven months of the year,no problems. I hose it off every weekend to wash off any bird (!&#$@&^ it cleans up nice. As far as leaks go the fabric will not leak but you might get some minor dribels thru a seam via the needle holes. The great thing about this stuff is it will breath.
As far as custom or not I would have a custom cover made. I bought a custom cover for my donzi thru the net and was not thrilled with it.

Sam

Formula Jr
11-27-2001, 09:06 PM
Do not tow with a cover of any kind if you're going for distance. As to the bow stop and rear straps, I'm going to try duck tape and grease this year.
:D

Digger
11-28-2001, 06:59 AM
let me jump on the sunbrella bandwagon. I've had it used for the last two full covers I had made. It is great material. As far as towing with a full cover, its a crap shoot, it all depends on the size of your boat, how well the cover fits, whether the cover ties down to the trailer or the boat itself...best bet is to put it on and hit the road (slowly!) and gradually speed up, see how it does. You will need somebody else driving a car next to you/behind you to let you know how it's doing. If it starts flapping anywhere you're done. When I tow long distance I leave the cover off, then put it on at the end of the driving day. good luck-