PDA

View Full Version : They want to ban thru-hull boats on my lake!!!!!

chief bigwin
11-22-2001, 06:10 PM
I have a cottage in Muskoka, Canada and I just received the Lake of Bays Association newsletter. Topic reads "Make Some Noise About Noisy Boats". It appears that some cottagers are fed up with thru-hull boats and want them banned. I have a real problem with them telling me what I can drive.

Part of their argument is that Federal law states that you may not operate a boat with an un-muffled exhaust within 5 miles of shore. No where on our lake are you 5 miles from shore. This is a federal law that has to be enforced by the Coast Guard...our lake is too small to have a Coast Guard boat. This sounds encouraging for thru-hull owners.

The cottage association wants cottagers to start following thru-hull boats(if they can catch them), taking pictures, writing licence numbers down and figuring out where their cottages are. The association wants the Ontario Government, and municipal government to change the law to make it a Provincial offence and have the Provincial Police lay charges. Now we have a problem!

Action needs to be taken. If they win, what will be next!

Have any of you had to face this situation yet? Comments, suggestion would be appreciatated. I am really curious to see what Mike Miller has to say...Donzi has quite a bit riding on thru-hull exhausts.

This may sound crazy, but are there any environmental benefits of thru-hull like less pollution entering the lake etc?

Thanks,

Brian

BigGrizzly
11-23-2001, 07:58 AM
I do Know the answer to the enviorment question and the answer is NO. there is no advantage but a very slight disavantage. The NOX and CO is and Particulate matter is dumped directly into the water and not vented. This makes fish unhappy. They would be better off banning the Two-stroke motors. There is a nother fun thing that people use and that is called noise polution it is used to comfuse the issue. All the general public hears is the word Polution.

Randy

Danny
11-23-2001, 01:03 PM
Brian
Joining the cottager's association and lobbying internally against this may be a route to go. You may be surprised to find out how many cottagers feel the same as you or how few really think this is an issue and you also get to keep an eye on the enemy. I find it is often a vocal few that get something like this pushed through when the majority could care less.
Our place is real close to the local Coast Guard station and I see or talk to the Coasties daily. I have never heard of them charging anyone, I'm more worried about the Federal wardens in the Park next to us, I think they may be able to charge you under the federal laws.
What about Corsa tips or Silent Choice, I know I don't have room for SC in either of my boats.
Do do know how the Feds measure noise level, some places it the noise at idle.
If all else fails move to Georgian Bay where there is bigger water, however there are cottagers here that are lobbying against thru-hull as well.
It would be interesting to hear others talk about noise restictions in their areas and how it is measured and enforced. Is silent choice illegal in some areas?
Danny

Greg
11-23-2001, 03:22 PM
In Wisc. both thru hull and silent choice are legal, but in the full open position engine noise at idle has to 86db or below. That's gonna hurt.

Ed Donnelly
11-24-2001, 09:07 AM
Re register your Donzi in Alabama or Florida.Then tell everyone it is your uncles boat and he is just visiting for the summer. I live in Ontario (Toronto) and have a Alabama registration. Its a hoot when you talk to the Toronto Marine Police and fellow boaters. I have the worst phony southern drawl,but no one seems to notice.. Talk to yawl later. Ed.

Kikwear
11-26-2001, 08:06 PM
I don't really know the noise levels in Illinois other than what Greg said. I've really only heard about the transom and idle law. Good luck to your man. Open exhaust was my most anticipated thing to do to my boat. I absolutely love it.

Greg
11-27-2001, 09:51 AM
Kikwear, On the chain I think the db level is 88. I've heard that they measure it at 50' behind the boat at idle.