PDA

View Full Version : Restoration complete - lessons learned

Murphy
07-17-2001, 10:11 PM
I realized the end of the 2-year restoration of an 86 Classic 22 this weekend. DONE! When purchased, winter before last it was a mess. Engine parts hanging off, hull and topsides scratches from stem to stern, lower unit full of water. At this time it is fully restored to 9 on a 10 scale and runs smooth as a gravy sandwich. Steps completed:

1) Buffed out complete hull and topsides which were covered by hundreds of scratches. Used a Mequires high speed orbital buffer. Heavy duty automotive compound,Meguires Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover, Meguires RV & Boat Polish, and Meguires RV Boat Wax were used. Nearly wore the buffer out, but the hull and decks look new.
2) Rebuilt the worn out Tempest 300 keeping only the block. New crank and cam, 1974 angle plug 492 double hump heads, KB quench pistons (9.4:1 compression) I-beam rods, cast iron high rise dual plane manifold, Holley fuel pump, new water pump, new high performance oil pump. Completely balanced, blueprinted, and port-matched.
3) Replaced the original Alpha 1 with an Alpha SS. Really cool drive. Low drag, great steering, and runs like a stripped ass ape. Installed a drive shower that keeps it luke warm even after a long run.
4) Converted back to the Quadrajet after testing a Holley 4011 (650 cfm) Could never get the Holley to idle or accelerate right. The Quad gives me 2-300 more rpm at WOT and accelerates like a dream. No BOG in sight.
5)Replaced interior with Bilt-Rite to match the creme-navy hull and deck.
6) Repainted engine compartment prior to reinstall. Replaced all wire wraps, terminals, and keepers.
7) Rebuilt battery box under rear seat with stainless steel liner and GIL battery box.
8) Reseated rub rail and replaced original stainless screws with stainless square drive screws. The heads are smaller and recessed better into the counterbores.
9) Rebuilt and resealed the Bennett trim pump. Bennet is one great company. They helped with online troubleshooting and sent me free parts.
10) Installed Fireboy 350 cu. ft. Halon II automatic system in engine compartment.

Boat now runs at 62 on the speedo, handles flawlessly, and goes all day on $30 of gas.

Fun stuff to still try out...
1) Get a better prop. I first tried my Mirage+ 21 pitch and it ventilated badly. Don't know whether this is better torque or the SS. Went back to the original 15" 19 pitch cleaver that came on the boat in 86. Performs much better than the Mirage. I could gain a few mph with a newer lab finished prop I'm sure.
2) Convert to a K&N filter to see if I pick up any flow improvements.
3) Bypass the oil cooler. I think the engine may be running too cool now. Oil pressure is reading 60-70 psi on startup and holds at 50-60 at all rpms. Drops to 25 at idle.
4) Get ahold of a speed gun and find out just how fast it really is.

Oh yah, one thing I left off the first list, spent about 10,000 hours on it and enjoyed most of it. Bottom line is I'm lovin it now!
Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. I'll forward pictures to the board this weekend.

Murph

harbormaster
07-18-2001, 06:24 AM
Did you register it? Did you send photos for all to see?

Jamesbon
07-18-2001, 08:08 AM
Congratulations Murphy! Sounds like your hard work finally paid off. We'd love to see some pics!

And yes, I agree, QUADRAJETS kick a*s http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif

green16
07-18-2001, 09:38 PM
Way to go Murph. Can't wait to see pictures.
green16