PDA

View Full Version : Steering play

doug hess
11-22-2001, 02:29 PM
I have a 1988 Ragazza 25 with a Merc power assist steering unit and a Teleflex Safe T single helm box. There seems to be excessive play in the box between the small spur gear on the steering wheel shaft and the mating gear teeth on the drum that the steering cable goes around. They are both made of die cast alloy.

Teleflex does not sell parts, only complete units. Unfortunaley because it is a tilt helm setup both units would have would have to be replaced.

Anyone have suggestions on reducing/removing the play or what the best replacement units would be?

Scott Pearson
11-23-2001, 06:59 AM
First make sure the cable nut is tight back at the Gimble housing. If this is loose it will make everything loose.

Good Luck

(NJ)Scott

doug hess
11-26-2001, 07:40 AM
NJ-Scott,

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and the nut is tight.

Next took off the "spent cable tube" and held the end of the inner steering cable fixed while gently rotating back and forth the steering wheel shaft. The wheel could be rocked about 10 degrees before the cable end was stressed/started to move. The play is definitely in the gears. Teleflex does not sell replacment parts. Apparently the liability exposure to Teleflex from steering helm boxs failing is more than out weighed by the profits from selling only complete systems. If I cannot fix it I am not going to buy another Teleflex.
doug

Formula Jr
11-26-2001, 08:56 AM
Doug, whats the lenght of your cable? There was a total system on eBay.
I would not be too hard on Teleflex for trying to cover their butts. They may have made design changes, which would open them to a suit. Unfortunately, a steering system is just that, a system. They are already running a little scared. The application warnings on new systems are pretty silly, over done and filled with Lawyer Speak.

BigGrizzly
11-26-2001, 11:05 PM
In my 18 I changed to a rack system. After a great deal of research on the subject on m2 22 Criterion the best option os external hydraulic steering, otherwise they will have some play. You will never get it all out.

Randy