PDA

View Full Version : Safety - Winter is a great time to buy a vest!

roadtrip se
10-07-2002, 10:54 AM
There was a lot of hard running going on in front of Lido Beach on Sunday. I saw one boat's entire bottom at vertical for what seemed like five seconds. My heart stopped.

I woke up to to the possibility of what can happen when I went to look at a Classic this last spring and a widow had to show it to me. The accident investigators think he launched off a wake, went vertical, and landed on the steering wheel and windshield. He died of a bruised heart.

You all know Jill and I love to wring every mph out of our boat that we possibly can AND we wear lifeline vests with impact material. Those little ribbons of material that blow up with CO2 after the fact, really don't protect for what can happen when all hell breaks loose in the cockpit.
I've also heard all of the arguements about just how much protection different vests offer, but my thinking is something is better than nothing!

There are affordable alternatives to Lifeline like Mustang. I see these things available for sale, used, all the time in the magazines and other boards. Good time to start shopping with the down season.

I know this issue is all about personal choice, but we all run our boats to their fullest capability, they continue to get faster with the skunkworks out there, and a little insurance like a decent quality life vest is priceless.

We are all having too much fun out there right now and I don't want to be the first person to witness a bad happening at a Donzi gathering.

Please consider it over the off season...

Todd

Tidbart
10-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Which off-season is that? :D :D

Bob

P.S. Nice to see you again. Glad you made it.
I was looking around for some of the Lifeline Vests, do you know of a place online??

Greg K
10-07-2002, 02:52 PM
Bob,
Take a look here.. Lifeline (http://www.land-and-sea.com/marine/lifejackets/lifeline_racing_jackets.htm) on sale too in some sizes.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-07-2002, 02:59 PM
If your going to buy new ones, buy direct.
Provide all your measurements, they run big.
Bryan

roadtrip se
10-07-2002, 04:58 PM
http://www.lifelinejackets.com/

Not much of a web site, but call them and order
a catalog. All kinds of shapes, sizes, colors, and other options available including impact material. Ours are the High Performance Jacket,
model 160. I like them, because they don't have a high collar for helmet use, making them more comfortable, and they were affordable.

I've worn Bryan's also. His are dark blue with Donzi ZX all over the back and names on the front.
Didn't like being called Nancy all day during the poker run, but I wore the thing any way.

Be safe out there!

Todd

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-07-2002, 05:21 PM
ROADTRIP, you had tough shoes to fill that day, and you were a GREAT first mate, thanks Todd....
Our jackets are the Poker Run run edition, embroidered special in Donzi colors and the ZX logo.
As I mentioned, they are custom fit, mine is a medium cut 2" longer, I am 6'5" 205 pounds and a 42 chest, a large would be way to big.
Like I said, call direct.
Bryan

mattyboy
10-08-2002, 08:46 PM
Scott,
I would but they would have to come in "husky" sizes.
and off season is what happens to the devil rays every oct. :p :D
and this offseason there will be more Nu Yorkers in Fla. then normal, they're called the Yankees :( :o cussball

Matt
usually the end of boat season means the begining of Yankee season, NOT THIS YEAR

BERTRAM BOY
10-08-2002, 08:52 PM
Poodle,
I'd probably order a couple....
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Greg Maier
10-08-2002, 08:52 PM
What kind of prices are we talking about for the 160 series?

roadtrip se
10-08-2002, 10:18 PM
Matt - Mine is an xl 42-48 and I am a 44 chest size at 235 pounds and I have lots of room w/o even starting to let the expansion straps out.

Scott - I would buy two more, for passengers, if we can get a good group rate.

Todd

CDMA
10-08-2002, 10:28 PM
I am in. At least 1 maybe 2

Tidbart
10-09-2002, 06:37 AM
I guess it wouldn't hurt. :D No pun intended.
I would probably get a couple, but not at $400 a piece.
I guess there is price to be put on safety.

Bob

Digger
10-09-2002, 07:36 AM
Scott I would consider two

mattyboy
10-09-2002, 09:11 AM
Roadtrip,
we're gonna need a couple more x's there for me eek! :rolleyes:

Scott I think I might go for 2. 1 for me and 1 for the misses
I'll take her measurements tonight wink smileybo yippie

Matt

Howe
10-11-2002, 08:26 PM
I'll take two if they've got leg straps (I don't know the model number you gave). I need the straps for the racing events I enter. I'm tired of borrowing friends jackets.

Digger
10-12-2002, 05:41 AM
go Howe go go go!! :D

Crazy Horse
10-12-2002, 12:24 PM
Poodle I would buy several. Also, would be interested in kid's sizes too. Thanks.

Dino
10-12-2002, 08:51 PM
Todd
Judy and I might be interested in two.
Let us know what the price might be.
Are these to much jacket for casual boaters?
Thanks Dino :cool:

boldts
10-14-2002, 10:30 PM
Scott, I'd like one for Beth and one for me. What kind of price saving are we looking at buying as a group? Is there something not so expensive for a child who will grow out of it in a year?

Howe
10-15-2002, 07:06 PM
bump

hottub
10-15-2002, 07:12 PM
Two more here if the price is right......

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-15-2002, 07:39 PM
POODLE, we tried the group discount a couple times with no luck.
If you get Bob (owner) to do a discount, I will buy two more identical to what I have with the logo etc.
My name/account is on file.
Let me know the price and I can transfer Lifeline the funds at the discounted rate direct.
We have $750 in our two with shipping.
Thanks
Bryan

Bad-Tat
10-23-2002, 09:17 AM
Scott,
I'll take one at that price.

mattyboy
10-24-2002, 12:32 PM
it should atleast be a bright color for the main body for safety reasons IMO. that being said I'll go with whatever color

Matt

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
10-24-2002, 02:35 PM
Just FYI
The Royal Blue matched my Donzi Blue perfectly!
Bryan

HP 600SC
10-24-2002, 02:50 PM
Scott, My good friend just gave me his Lifeline
with the Kevlar protection!! What a friend!!
He raced F-2 last year and does not race anymore.
Todd, Thank you for getting this subject to our
attention!!! It may save one our lives!!
Ted M.

Bad-Tat
10-24-2002, 05:07 PM
Black with Teal trim will work for me!!

nasty habit
10-27-2002, 11:06 PM
Which model is the 160 ? poker run or offshore.?

Fish boy
05-03-2004, 07:04 AM
This is definitely an old thread, but given some recent events, I thought I would bump it to the top after Boat Mon was nice enough to find it.

It looks like this thread involved the possibility of getting a volume discount on a large order of life vests. Did it ever happen? Any interest on it happening again? MP can you still get discounts? Does anyone else have a Quality life vest (like Lifeline or Security) hook-up?

Truth is, we go too fast not to be smart.

Fish

JimG
05-27-2004, 02:39 PM
We (Krakmeup, Madmax911 and I) just bought 6 of these "SAR" vests from Hawills.

(On the link, go to "Lifejackets", then look for the SAR 4185 jacket).

http://www.hawills.com/

These guys have them, too.

http://www.rocknrescue.com/acatalog/Catalog_Stearns_75.html

Crotch straps, 100mph rating, VERY heavy duty, plus lots of SOLAS reflective stuff to get ya found if you get dumped in the drink.
Not as pretty as Lifelines, but very tough and functional. Lot's of pockets and USCG rated, too! Look at the size of those chest straps! Comfortable, too.

You won't find these at Wal-Mart. They are sold mainly to law enforcement.

The best part... we paid under $70 each with the amount we purchased! Shipped!

rayjay
05-27-2004, 04:12 PM
(On the link, go to "Lifejackets", then look for the SAR 4185 jacket). ... Crotch straps, 100mph rating, VERY heavy duty, plus lots of SOLAS reflective stuff to get ya found if you get dumped in the drink.

They look good, but what about impact protection?

If I remember correctly (which is getting harder to do at my age) the 100 mph rating has to do with the straps and buckles staying together and is not an impact rating. Again, if I remember correctly the base Lifeline' have some back protection and the Race has front and side "flack" style impact protection.

rayjay

JimG
05-27-2004, 04:42 PM
From Lifeline:

Made from 1000 Denier Cordura Nylon, the High Performance Jacket features a heavy-duty, locking slide front zipper, one inch close cell foam in the front chest area and collar, half inch close cell foam in the back, and as with all Lifeline Racing Jackets, left and right D-rings for easy kill switch shut-off.

The Lifeline racing jackets are the only ones with flak material. The Stearns 4185 is a good low-cost alternative to the Lifeline. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy some pretty Lifelines if I could afford 'em!! :yes:

I do like the Stearns use of three big chest straps, and the liberal reflective stuff. I want to be FOUND!! :eek!:

SilverBack
03-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Poodle,

I know that this is a very old thread but did you guys get your jackets? Are you still selling them? I am going to need some of these for my new project!

SilverBack
03-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Scott,
I called Jim and ordered my new Life Line jacket today! He is great to deal with and I would recomend Top Notch to everyone here. They support this site and have great stuff that we all buy and Jim is a very nice guy to deal with!
Thanks,
Scott and Jim!!