PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinions on Alpha SS/Bravo swap

jr
10-07-2002, 08:34 AM
Hey guys, I have been kicking around the ideas of swaping out my Alpha SS's, yes plural. For bravo's.

I have a Wellcraft Nova, I know its not a Donzi, but no one is perfect. I figure this is the best place to ask these questions because of your experience with the Alpha SS.

My boat runs around 6000 lbs, and I have twin SBC's putting out around 425 HP. I don't want to tear up the Alphas SS's, but at the same time I don't think this boat would benefit from them as much as it would from Bravos.

Would an even up swap for a complete bravo, with trim cylinders, for a complete Alpha SS seem out of line? I've seen complete Alpha SS advertised for 6000 bucks.

Any thoughts?

Forrest
10-07-2002, 08:55 AM
You are probably right because the Bravos are stronger and should last longer than the SSs; however don't expect any speed increase when going to the Bravos and there is a good chance that you will loose a few MPH in doing the swap.

If you decide to do the swap, how 'bout doing some of the Donzi boys here a favor and let two of them have the first shot at picking up an SS for their 16 or 18? The boys would be eternally greatful to you! (but not at $6K each)

jr
10-07-2002, 09:19 AM
Forrest, you guys would be the first ones. I would want someone to have these that would actually know what they are. I got into an argument with a mechanic who kept insisting they were just alphas with nose cones. Until I made him measure them.

Anyway I wasn't really looking to sell, but maybe do an even swap.

Your right about the speed. But this boat isn't really a speedster anyway. I would like go get back a couple inches in X so I can get the bow up alittle better. Then I could use a prop to get its butt out of the water. A 26' boat with twins is alittle tail heavy.

Sam
10-07-2002, 12:18 PM
jr, if you do move to the Bravo's let me know, I am one of the boy's that is interested in an Alpha SS. Beyond that call me some time, I'm on Lk St Calir all the time.

Sam

jr
10-07-2002, 12:35 PM
Sam were you in a red 16 chasing a guy in a white 16 earlier in June? I saw two guys racing earlier in Anchor Bay. I was going the other way. We may have already crossed paths.

GEOO
10-08-2002, 06:10 AM
Jeff,
If you plan on keeping the boat for a while switch to the Bravo's. You'll get a lot better bow lift then with the SS's.

Donzified
10-08-2002, 09:09 PM
I have a 1977 25' Nova .The more I use it the more I love it.What did Allen Brown have to do with this CLASIC ?

Donzified
10-08-2002, 09:11 PM
Sam:

You really do have the 75 m.p.h. fever.

Sam
10-09-2002, 07:15 PM
jr, that would be me ! the white boat was Jammie. If it was the day I'm thinking of Doug Luvins and Randy Oak were out there as well.

Sam

Formula Jr
10-10-2002, 02:48 AM
Jr, as much as we may be drooling over the prospect of some SS's on the market, are you going to be swapping out the engines for things bigger or just a drive swap? If not bigger engines, you're fine with what ya got. Unless I read the post wrong. Each drive is handling 3000 lbs and 215 HP? If you're running each engine at 425 HP for a total of 850hp, well - thats another kettle of fish. The engines will blow up 'bout the same time the drives will. :D

Rootsy
10-10-2002, 06:45 AM
One question i think i've been pondering for a while is: what exactly can an SS handle for power? sure there are upgrades such as HD gears etc which make things stronger internally and given all of that... There seems to be the camp that feels it is no stronger than an alpha... then there are those that put some serious ponies through em and twist em to the sky, don't bat an eyelash and swear up and down that they are good for 450+...

think what i'd like to hear are a few factual opinions, experiences, etc. forrest, doug, and the rest of you SS guru's feel like spillin your inner most guts on the subject?

before i even consider moving to an SS i want to KNOW if it will reliably handle 400+ and mid 5000 rpm's even if i have to go to HD gearsets (pretty much a given with me), etc...

Jamie - lookin for that warm fuzzy in the cold of winter...

Forrest
10-10-2002, 11:07 AM
Jamie, I wish that I could tell you how much power and load an Alpha SS can handle, but I can't. I'm at about 290 HP behind mine at 5000 RPM on my 16. Also, I now run a drive shower on my SS as well.

jr
10-10-2002, 11:55 AM
Formula, you have it right the second time. I'm running 425 each. The SBC's are 409's that I built last year after one of the 406's that was held together with bubble gum and bailing wire from the previous owner, came apart. That was because it was built crappy and not the HP. I could spend an hour on what was wrong with these engines.

Forrest, I talked to a guy awhile ago at BAM about them. He seemed to support the 6000 dollar price tag. Which gave me the giggles. That is for a good clean one and a rebuilt transom assembly. But as the gears go, he mentioned that the SS had the HD alpha gears, which are forged and not cast. Which I did alittle research on using part numbers, and found he is right. I guess a better question would be what would the HD stand up to. Now he mentioned that they have used them in applications to 500 HP. Which I would think would be a warmed up 454 that blew up its old alpha back in the late 80's and replaced with an SS. I wonder what Mercruiser was thinking with that combo.

500 HP with 32 oz. of lubes seem abit on risky side even with showers, which I don't currently have. I'm still torn between ripping the engines out again, along with the drives. Which if I did that I would then continue with re-rigging the boat, hydraulic steering, and so on. Thats alot for a boat thats 16 years old and doesn't hold much of a classic status as an older Donzi would.

Doug L.
10-10-2002, 01:55 PM
Jamie
I just got back in the house after about 50 min.
of runs around the lake atleast 8 passes at 5700+
and she was just warm around the upper gear set
and thats 400HP+. Couldn't find nobody to spank or
get spanked by!!!!!!!!!
Doug :p :D :p