PDA

View Full Version : Checked on Cumberland last week...

roadtrip2
07-17-2001, 09:36 PM
All this talk about AOTH II is well-timed. Just got back from a week at the lake and the memories of AOTH I are as strong as ever. The locals are still talking about our invasion of their home waters. I was approached several times in the 22 with questions about the event and timing of the next one.
Also ran into David, Linda, and Trevor Neff from Lima, Ohio in their 95 22 Classic with black sides, a red top stripe, and a 502 blackhawk. Awesome boat and great ride. Also enjoyed floating and swapping stories. What a great day.
Scott Boldt. The timing is good. Time to announce the AOTH II. Hot Boat and OSO publicity can't hurt. Remember 80 boats or bust for 2002. Cumberland awaits our return!
Todd

Bryan Tuvell
07-19-2001, 10:54 AM
Todd, sounds like it was a good time!

Yes, what are the specific dates for AOTH II?
The entire family is coming next year!

Bryan

boldts
07-19-2001, 07:48 PM
OK folks. You all are right, I need to start putting the event together before December this year. Let me give you the game plan. 1. Send a questionnaire to everyone who attended this year and any new interested parties. 2. See if there is a marina that could house the expected increase in boats attending. (80 +) 3. Check availability of event dates. Still don't want to share the lake with thousands of jetskiers. LOL 4. Find out if the whole area around the lake is dry. Wouldn't make sense to plan on gathering somewhere if they can't offer any more than what we can get on the lake. There had been thoughts of staying on the East end of the lake this year because of the availability of less expensive accommodations in Somerset. 5. Do we want to move the date later in the summer if available? This will cause cost of accommodations increase, but maybe not as much trash in the waterways. Plus, as we move into the summer months, more conflicts with already established events. 6. Come up with a new look for the website. 7. Design a new year 2002 T-Shirt. 8. Look into some type of award items. You get the idea... I'd also like to explore things for family members to do if they would not like to go boating all weekend or sit around listening to us talk about our boats. All weekend.... Lengthen the event to 4 or 5 days? I've been enjoying the summer and the boat. I have a week in Myrtle Beach planned for the first week of August, but after that, it's AOTH II. I promise!

Scott Boldt
Midwest Donzi Club

boldts
07-19-2001, 10:14 PM
What do you all think about moving the dates to a during the week event. Would eliminate the conjestion of the weekend and if you wanted to stay through the weekend, we'd have first dibbs on parking places. Only thing that could be bad about doing this would be for those who have limited vacation time and would like to do more Donzi events through-out the summer. Another thing to think about is folks who would like to bring the family with them. Many schools are still in session in early May. I know Tony and Cherri from Michigan are school teachers and making a midweek gathering could be a problem for them. Wouldn't be any negative words from those who want to spend Mother's Day with their family and we should be able to get better discounts and rates during the week maybe? Don't mean to be negative about any racing events, but we would have to have some medical folks available just in case the unthinkable would happen. Mike Doyle really brought that aspect to light.

Bryan Tuvell
07-20-2001, 07:24 AM
Scott, as I said I will be bringing Nancy and the kids, we will be there for a week, staying at the lodge. I will unhook the Jeep so we can occassionally go do family events around scheduled Donzi events.
I personally vote Jamestown, my only beef was my boat slip was not even close to the row of Donzi's and I was reserved well in advance, yet when I arrived the day prior Frieta could not accomodate me with this information on a slip location until arrival day. On a positive note they didn't care that I sat broke down at the ramp the last night!
I hope to see you in August, I will be in a poker run on the 11th.
Bryan

boldts
07-20-2001, 08:10 AM
Bryan,
Good to hear from ya. I'm still trying to get Beth to leave SC on the 10th. If we can get to your area Friday afternoon, catching a Poker Run on Sat. the 11th would be cool. Brad Verd, are you going to be at this event? I believe Forrest mentioned being in the Virginia Beach area that weekend also. I still want to get up to AC that weekend also. Reminds me of my younger days. Pack as much into a weekend as possible. Hope we can swing it. I also would like to make the Awakening a 1 week vacation trip. Allow more time to find those private coves that you and Todd were hangin out in. Wouldn't mind some water skiing and such also. If we move the date back to the week after when we were there this year, those who wish would be able to check out the jet ski event which I believe begins on Friday. I'll have to check all these dates. Jamestown works for me... My only concern is the available docking for everyone. Even if we only go from 35 boats to 40, it was kind of tight this year already. I also would like to keep all the owners and their boats together in one area. David Hicks mentioned a launch ramp and more than willing folks ready to make room for his houseboats this year. This ramp is by the Lake Cumberland State Park. Don't know if it matters, the state park is a little less expensive and has the same offerings as Jamestown plus also offers camping. Downfall, long windy road to get to out of Jamestown. Adds about 45 min. to the east folks trip. Have a lot to look into... I'd like to get a mailing out to everyone and see what the general concensus is. I'm working on this presently. Keep the thoughts and ideas coming.

Scott Boldt

RedDog
07-20-2001, 08:43 AM
Jamestown was a perfect setup this year - but if AOTH gets bigger I see the problem. Would people consider other locations such as: Dale Hollow on KY/TN border, Ohio River where ever, KY Lake is hugh and fun and has a canal linking it to Lake Barkley on the Cumberland River. The more I think about it, KY Lake would be great. Further haul for those in the East but would save Formula Jr and the Texas gang hours . The KY Dam Marina is about a 5 hour haul from Knoxville.

------------------
Reddog
mailto:tsfloyd@bigfoot.comtsfloyd@bigfoot.com</A>

Bandit
07-25-2001, 01:27 PM
The State Dock was more than willing to accommodate all of my boats this past year at a very reasonable rate.

The Jamestown/State Dock area would have plenty of room to dock all of our boats if we planned in advance. This first year they didn't know what to expect so they probably didn't put much effort into it. I'm sure we'll get their attention if it's doubled.

To extend the event, how about having it saddle a weekend (Thurs.-Tues.). Saves on vacation and we'll get a longer chance to get to know each other. I'm with Owen on faces, names, etc. in a day or two.

I've been enjoying Cumberland all summer and it's like two different lakes pre/post "season" verses during "season" as Todd S. knows since he vacations here during the summer.

ScottB., I guess you'll know how I'll be voting!

Was there ever a video tape made of AOTH I for us to purchase?

bverd
07-25-2001, 01:51 PM
I am not familiar with the area, but I can say that the facilities at Jamestown were very accomodating. I really enjoyed myself there and would like to make reservations for next year (where ever it maybe).

Bolts - yes, I am planning on the poker run in MD, espcially now that AC has moved, the catch is I am scheduled to get back from Europe the day before so I am currently trying to change my schedule some. Would be great to see you there.

Forrest
07-25-2001, 03:20 PM
I bet there will be lot of folks coming from Florida for AOTH II. Sine there will be a number of folks that attended AOTH I at Eufaula III, I'm sure that it will be a topic for discussion.

RickR
07-25-2001, 03:58 PM
The Boss and I had a blast :D We'd vote for the same weekend, longer, same area, more Donzis :D.

I think Jamestown would be happy to accomadate us with getting all the boats docked togeather.
I'd like to think if we booked the whole resort we'd get a better discount also.

If we had more than Jamestown Resort could accomadate we could spill over to the State Park.
I doubt the State Park is 45 minutes extra, probably more like 20 and it's a beautiful drive.

Last Tango
07-25-2001, 08:50 PM
I'll be there again regardless of when or where or with whom I must travel. AOTH I was worth the two day haul from Florida, and although Last Tango expired on Saturday night and we left Sunday morning, I believe a couple extra days would be nice. I like the Thurs-Tues approach (less time out of the office). Jamestown was nice, and central to the part of the lake we used. Scott, you did a super job this year! :)
Mark
The Extreme Member Formally Known As VARYAK

Tomahawk
07-25-2001, 10:29 PM
Hi All - regarding the AOTH I video project. I do have a guy working on that. However, he is a professional with other customers paying him more - lots more. Like Donzi/ProLine and Honda Marine, just to name two. Anyway, he has worked on it and tells me it is near completion. Should have something to look at soon. As you can understand, I can't put a lot of pressure on but do expect results real soon. I'll let you all know and will plan a "PAIMOPS" (Private Advanced Invitatioal Members Only Premier Showing) at Eufaula III. :cool:

boldts
07-25-2001, 10:33 PM
Hey all. Thanks for the imput. I think the Thursday through Tuesday is a great idea. Saves 2 vac. days for me. As far as where, either Jamestown or the State Park works and are centrally located for the most part. From the looks of things this year, I think added boats kept in water could be a prob. Most of the boats docked at Jamestown are perminant for the summer so I don't see them being moved to keep our group together. Could be a very large raft up though in the area we were docked at this year. As the Bandit said, the other marina across from Jamestown went out of their way to accomidate his party and houseboats. I got to tell ya, the night cruise back to the State Park launch ramp was very romantic for Beth and I Friday and Saturday nights. Owen is correct about that launch ramp though. I did not get the opportunity to check out the ramp and marina that Bandit was at though. Have to do some investigation and phone calls on that one because it is not part of the State Park Lodge and we'd have to pay launch fee. Jamestown however probably allows more of the public to view our boats. Due to the jet skis being at Jamestown the weekend after our event this year, we will probably have to keep the same time and weekend if we stay over a weekend and still stay in the spring rates. That means we'll have the Mother's Day issue again. My mom and wife were ok with it, but I know some folks had issues about it.

Brad - I've almost got Beth convinced to leave SC on Friday the 10th. I'd like to hook up with Brian Tuvell and friends Friday afternoon. Maybe one of them needs an assistant for the Poker Run and wouldn't mind us tagging along with them. I'd even be willing to be the boat cleaning boy for a day. I haven't been to a run yet. Only seen the NY Hudson on speedvision. Would be great to get with you also while there. I'd like to see your gauges up close also. I'm leary about the wiring of new gauges. I hate electrical stuff. So easy to screw up.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
07-26-2001, 04:32 AM
Scott, you know your welcome... here is the agenda for the Mile One Poker Run.
Sat drivers meeting 8:30am, intend to launch from my house about 6am, so it will be an early day very late return. Run starts at 9am and is from Norfolk Va to Currituck NC. $200 per hand, $3000 first prize.
Right now it is Nancy and I and a friend, I am sure we have room for you guys. The rest of the VA gang are in a different run on the same day out in the bay.
Please keep me posted so I can be ready for you guys on Friday and also provide some directions. Bryan

roadtrip se
07-26-2001, 06:48 PM
I'm in with the longer weekend event. This year was great, but too short for us long haulers. Jamestown and State Dock can handle all the boats we could possibly assemble. It was really nice having the lake to ourselves and I do not consider lake lice to be a beneficial addition to the waters of Cumberland. Maybe, we could get Frieda to run one of those high speed water taxis over to State Dock, so everyone can enjoy a little boat soda after the daily runs. Alternative activities might include a tour of Mammoth Caves or the absolutely awesome Corvette museum and manufacturing facility over in Bowling Green about 90 minutes away. Just a couple of ideas. Now how can I help with getting the word out???? Really hot in Texas, Todd

Bandit
07-27-2001, 09:16 AM
Thanks Tomahawk for the video update. I'm in no hurry and I'm sure the guy doing this for us needs to make his bread & butter. It will be something to enjoying sitting in front of my fireplace this winter. I've already made plans for Labor Day and I'll certainly miss out on the :rolleyes: PAIMOPS!!!

If you like the outdoors and sight seeing, there's all types of places to visit in the Bluegrass. How about a historical train ride through the Big South Fork, visiting the Moon Bow at Cumberland Falls or hiking to the Natural Arch? These and many more are fairly close to Jamestown.

Is anybody coming to the Cumberland Poker run the weekend after Labor Day? 1/2 price for Donzi owners!!!