PDA

View Full Version : An hour with a pretty smart old man, props education

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-21-2001, 01:11 PM
Well swung by and saw the old guy at the prop shop here, what I thought would be an easy "hey I want 300 to 400 more RPM" turned into a very valuable hour education. First he laughed and said most people talk in speed and not RPM's.... He guessed I might have a slight clue on what I actually want, tough being a kid at 40 ya know! :)
But you guys have tought me well....
he does props from all over and said I am his 3rd 26ZX Bravo I customer, other two were from NC.

He reviewed with me the diameter differences and especially the come on plane and stay on plane differences of the Rev IV and OffShore Series (which I have read so much about) compared to a Bravo I, even though in his eyes factory Merc props were very poorly made, this opinion was given as he showed me on one of his machines that each blade was way different than it's 3 brothers on the same hub.

He sat my prop next to one of the "what many call merc racing props" and explained the goods and bad of it. Those are his repeat customers as he grinned! $$$$$

Finally he explained his plan on my prop to gain 300 RPM in normal area temps & humidity. In the cool with no humidity I am 47/4800 RPM at 66.5 to 67 GPS all the way trimmed out and using allot of waterway to get there. So he will work it to perform more along the lines of our area weather, but for a fair price in my eyes (125 to 150).
His competitor is a solid $125.

All in all it was a valuable hours worth of education and how props preform and how they preform on bigger stepped hull boats vs traditional V's or ventilated hulls etc etc etc..
Bryan

Forrest
11-21-2001, 02:47 PM
You must be talking to Murphy in Norfolk.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-21-2001, 05:34 PM
Hi Forrest, nope, actually Murphy's is his competitor.... There is only one other shop?
Guess again....

I hope you guys are well, what is the latest with the boats? Do you still have the Magnum? Classic?
Bryan

Ozarkboater
11-23-2001, 05:03 PM
Let me know how that turns out....

By the way, I trying to get some pic's together of the boat that we were talking about...

hope you had a nice thanksgiving.

Cramer
chasing the big "Z" :D

Shanghied Again
11-23-2001, 07:48 PM
Bryan, What prop do you have now? I don't have mine yet Cape Island is keeping the prop until April. But I have a stock prop upstairs from the 22 Zx a 24 Pitch. For that price I will send it out and have him cut it.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-23-2001, 09:44 PM
CRAMER, sounds good, can't wait to see them.
My home email is listed in my profile.

FRANK, mine came stock, Bravo I. That is the prop in the shop now, it comes home Monday. It needed work, even I could see the 1/4" difference or more on each blade.
Frank I will send you his info or ship it to me, I will get it there and ensure it is treated like one of my own, pay for it etc and then you can square up with me! Whatever works for you.

Also Frank, Bob has the 496MAG HO in his 26ZX, he could only get 4600 RPM with the stock props, with a Merc blueprinted prop he is turning 5000. he has tested every prop known to man! He could not stay on plane in the chop with a Mirage Plus, the 22P he had problems planing.
Not sure Bob will make the AOTH II, he is eyeing 33's now!!!! No tow vehicle for one at the moment.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
11-24-2001, 07:23 AM
Bryan What size Bravo prop do you have with the 26

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-24-2001, 08:45 AM
24P

Shanghied Again
11-24-2001, 01:30 PM
Is that a 15x25x24. If that is you made my day I have one upstairs Bravo 1 from my 22ZX

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
11-24-2001, 02:00 PM
Yep, I believe so! Same as was on the 22.

Been dealing with contractors all day!
Need a drink and a new money $$$ tree $$$

I need to get hot on finishing the new home for the boat! Orders from the boss, I won't quote her in public except to say it was not nice! So concrete pour scheduled for mid December.
Bryan

Shanghied Again
11-24-2001, 07:18 PM
Thanks Bryan, I will take the prop out of the attic. Its Brand new! If I can get this prop lab finished and gain 300 rpm that will be great. I will talk to you about the info on the prop guy.
Frank