PDA

View Full Version : 18 vs. 22 ???????

goatee
01-03-2003, 02:16 AM
i'm reading down below "dead rise angle"
and i must say, you guys seem to know your stuff! ..i spent alot of time in a 94' 18 foot omc 351. i loved it! but i'm considering a 22' "is the loss of performance, i.e.(handeling ect.) (if any) going to be drastic?
or can i expect the same as the 18?

never even been in a 22'

p.s. i wanted sooooo bad to say something like "maybe the waves were bigger!!!!"

goatee
01-03-2003, 02:19 AM
any info, or opinions would be much help.

thanks a lot

AVickers
01-03-2003, 08:05 AM
I've had both and I still have the 22. Although I really miss the 18...

The first Donzi I ever noticed was a 22 and (being the cheap bastard I am) I figured the 18 was close enough -- and a lot less money. I ended up buying a 22 after a couple of years w/ the 18 and played with both for a while. Eventually, though, the boats were similar in purpose enough that I sold off the 18 (putting the money into a old V-drive wakeboard boat...so I can terrorize the kids).

The 18 was a blast: very fast and it seemed faster because of the wind in your teeth; its ability to fly in the rough stuff and the relatively low freeboard. When in an 18, you are very involved with everything going on in and around the boat.

My 22 is more stable, drier and better in the rough stuff. It's also faster and I also think it's better looking -- in a streamlined boat sort of way. Even though it wasn't officially the first Classic, to me, it just looks more "classic."

There's more room in the 22, but not much more useable room. The 22 isn't as "convenient" as the 18 in that it's a bit more difficult to trailer and launch and it doesn't handle as well at docking/loading speeds -- although this may be more a factor of the Alpha Drive on the 22 compared to the Volvo 280 on my old 18. (Basically, I think the Volvo is a much better drive system than the Alpha...)

Anyway, the two are different boats with a different feel and look. I prefer the 22, but I can certainly understand why people love their 18s. I'll eventually have another...

Budmann
01-03-2003, 08:18 AM
both boats are very different in ride and handling. Before I go on let me state that either boat is AWESOM!!! I guess we should start with what kind of boating your going to be doing Is it going to be on a lake or in open water?? If your going to be lake boating the 18 is the way to go. Its fast and real fun to drive. I have owned both and I opted for the 22 because I live in Florida were the Gulf can get pretty ruff. I also have two children and a love of my life. When you start loading all the stuff that goes with four people you need the extra space and length. Another issue is cost. You can look around and probably find a less expencive 18 than a 22. If you watch this site enough, you should have no problem finding a nice 18 or 22. Hope this info helped, and good luck. We can always use another Donzi owner in the group.

AVickers
01-03-2003, 12:09 PM
I forgot to mention:

I live on one lake and within 10 miles of another: Lake Austin and Lake Travis.

Lake Austin is a rather small lake that's relatively smooth -- when it's not FULL of boats. It's long and relatively narrow -- like a river. There are stretches of this lake that lay out like glass -- even during the day. The 18 was perfect for this lake.

Lake Travis is much larger and wider and more affected by the wind. You can run into some sizeable chop (for fresh water). Water skiing and the like are best done in coves off the main lake and you have to run like hell through the whitecaps to get to the coves. The 22 is ideal for this lake.

goatee
01-03-2003, 12:11 PM
i really was expecting to buy an 18, but after seeing this site, i found some nice deals on 22's i have a whole list of stuff i want to ask the dealers at the feb. boat show.
i will be on a lake, but its lake st. clair.
more or less open water!!
it will have to be stored at the marina. i have a cherokee, pulls 5000 i figured the boat, gas, trailor, will be around 5040. so, i mean i COULD, but not for any long hulls!

ITTLFLI
01-03-2003, 01:12 PM
Goatee,

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee with the V-8 and it pulls my 22 very well! I hardly know it's back there, except that the trailer is wider than the jeep. I would think even with the 6 cylinder it would pull well! Just my two cents!

MattM
01-03-2003, 01:35 PM
I've had both too. I agree with everything that's been said. I had the 22 here on the Willamette river and it was overkill, I couldn't find water big enough to be interesting. The 18 is a much better boat for it, easier to ski behind, load, get around etc. The 22 is an awsome open water boat. If your intention is to move around the lake in about any weather and you need a little space, the 22 is your boat. If you intend to limit your use to nice calmer days and pull toys around and hang out at the beach, the 18 is your boat. The most important thing however, is that you get a Donzi of some sort.

olredalert
01-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Goatee,

-------When I moved here(East China Mi.)I thought that a 22 would be enough boat for the St. Clair river,but I found that this river is a son-of-gun.Current is always south bound and wind in the summer is often north bound.This and hundreds of 30 to 50ft Sea rays an hour from Fri. thru Sun.make any trip an adventure.Sold the 22,and restored a 24 El Pescador.It will handle just about anything around here.
-------Then I started lusting after an 18 Corsican again,as I have so many times before in my life.Bought one and use it primarily down around Harsens which,in my opinion,is just about perfect 18 water(ask Ranman).
-------Getting across Lake St.Clair can be interesting but once you are around the islands there is always somewhere to open her up.Plus you probably will run into other DONZI owners almost anytime.I have.
-------I dont get out too far into Lake St.Clair often but I think alot depends on the prevailing wind once you are out in the middle.Plenty of spots to run to in an 18 quick if you need to.
-------I love 22s.you cant beat the looks.But if you want manuverability an 18 may do it for you.I really dont think a 22 offers you that much more of anything you need around here at least.To take on some of the stuff that is around here really well you might have to go to something bigger yet.JMHO.............Bill S........ol red!

KRAVEN
01-03-2003, 08:47 PM
I have to agree with olredalert.The 18 is perfect for the waters around Harsens Island.I originaly had planned on buying a 16,but After sitting behind the wheel decided on a 18.Hope to see you in Lake St.Clair this season.I keep my 18 on a lift infront of our cottage on the Middle Channel.If your in the area on a weekend stop by.

goatee
01-03-2003, 10:19 PM
alot of what i read , is alot of what i expected.
you really are "involved" in what is going on around you in an 18. and i figured the 22 would be a little smoother, but less "fun" (i quess thats the best way to say it) i live in clinton now, but lived on harsens for 18 years.
so kraven, i'm sure we know ALOT of the same people. chris has a donzi, and the one guy,,,,his mom owned the store across from the bar???? (im bad with names). justin! yeah thats it! he has a 16. i would be coming from the marina on jefferson, so i will be crossing the lake alot. spend alot of time at gull isl. the bay ect seaway isl. my parents live on monroe blvd.
the bad news, (that i just got today) is that i will not be able to reopen my accnt. with citibank. so it will be a year or so before i am ready to buy.. i think i am going to hold out for the 22.

boldts
01-04-2003, 09:26 AM
GT - Really sorry to read about the bank acct. and having to wait to buy a Donzi. I'm late in giving you my oppinion anyway, but I have boated on St. Clair in both an 18 Classic and now a 22 Classic. On that lake, even a 22 can be a handful! The biggest difference I have found between the 2 models is as been mentioned on this site many times. "You sit on top of the smaller Classics and sit in the 22." My wife and I have a 5 yr old and her safety is how I was able to justify our purchase to my wife.

The Michigan gang like to get together a couple times over the summer and even some of us meet at the Detroit Boat Show over the winter. I'd be happy to let you drive a 22 next summer if I get up to MI if you'd like. I really enjoy running St. Clair and seeing the MI Donzi gang. Last year when I was up, Randy (Ranman) and I went down river towards Detroit and the extra length of my 22 was much appreciated as I looked over and saw Randy in a 18 Classic catching much air time. Don't get me wrong, I love AIR TIME in a Donzi, but my wife on the other hand, is another story. Even in the 22, she gets a little antzy about opening her up. My 5 yr. old loved the wind in her face of the 18, but loves the added speed we gained with the 22. She'll be asking for the keys before to long!

Good luck in your search. I know where a really clean 1986 honey and red 22 Classic is in Cinncinati, OH. It has the small block Tempest engine and a Alpha I think. May be a little easier on your wallet. Contact Jerry Eisele.

HyperDonzi
01-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Scott, in Ohio it is 12 years old when you can legally drive the boat w/o any supervision. Kinda scary when you think about it :)