PDA

View Full Version : What does an 18' 2+3 weigh on the trailer?

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
10-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Went new car (SUV) shopping today. I want to buy a Donzi soon, so I'm looking at towing capacities. I realized that I didn't really know what an 18' classic weighs full of gas and gear sitting on a trailer.
Guys?

Eric :)

Last Tango
10-06-2002, 08:28 PM
FlatRacer,
Yeah, this topic was stroked pretty hard last summer on this forum but so many people had so many opinions about what to tow WITH that the real issue got clouded. Way back, somebody actually went to a truck weigh station and measured all that, but the discussion centered around older hulls being substantially lighter than newer hulls of exactly the same size. Ignore the catalog weights because they don't include the stuff and the trailer and the gas. Figure 7 pounds per gallon of gas. Add an easy two hundred pounds of "stuff" and then how much does the trailer weight? Max discussion about trailers and weights for those abounded as well last summer. Fresh water or salt water, aluminum or painted steel, brakes or no brakes, one axel or two axels.
I just skipped all the discussion and bought a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with V8 engine (6500 lb towing capacity) and then I didn't have to worry about which Classic Donzi to buy. It will tow them all, no matter what. Also the Z's up to 26 feet.
I tow a 2001 Classic 18 with the MX6.2MPI motor and it rides on a single axel aluminum trailer with 235/75X15 tires and 15" galvanized wheels. Fresh water or salt water makes no difference to me. My Jeep pulls the 18 with no effort all day on the freeway and even in the mountains. I have towed twice from Florida to AOTH in Kentucky and then to Lake Erie, and then back to Florida. No problems with either Jeep or trailer.
Just got back from my second trip to Sarasota in two months. No problems on the haul. Figure 3000 pounds for the 18, 800 pounds for the trailer, and another 200 pounds for stuff on long trips.
Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 has more than enough braking power for both the Jeep and the trailer combo. ABS, traction control (full-time all wheel drive), and four disc brakes. No issues. Great acceleration, 14 MPG towing the boat, 19.5 MPG without the boat and trailer. Not a gas sipper, but certaining not as thirsty as a truck or giant SUV.
Get a subscription to Trailer Boats magazine. Best money you will spend on reading material and research for towing. www.trailerboats.com (http://www.trailerboats.com)